The Cambria Historical Society’s final Speaker Series Event for the year will take place on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 at 7:30 pm following a brief meeting at 7:00 pm.
“South Ridge Farming” a presentation by Clem Demmin, will focus on the farms located on the west end of the south Ridge (Route 104). Details of the farmers in this section of the town and the crops grown there, along with photos of the equipment used during the time period of 1945-1955 will be shown. Also discussed will be the importance of cooperation among the area’s farmers during the grain harvest season.
The event is free and all are encouraged to attend with an interest in the history of our town.
On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/306972473000885/
Correction: The violin featured in the story was owned by a Cambrian man who fought in the Civil War, not the War of 1812, and the Cambria Historical Society is located at the former Cambria (Old) Town Hall, not a one room schoolhouse. However, It was used as a school annex.
This month the Museum will be open Saturday, May 16 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. to the general public. Feel free to stop in and say hello!
The Lockport/Olcott section of the International Railway Company (IRC) turned Olcott, NY into a thriving tourist destination. For over a quarter of a century, beginning in 1900, the trolley line carried thousands of visitors from Buffalo to Olcott, where they enjoyed fun activities, cool breezes and relief from city life.
Speaker Jim Retzlaff recently became interested in this important, fascinating operation and has been researching its past and what of it remains. He will inform the group of his findings in this casual conversation about this piece of Western New York history.
In addition, this is a great opportunity to stop in to see what we’ve done with the Cambria Historical Museum over the last few years! Many historical Cambria artifacts, ranging from the Sutherland Sisters, to the pioneering Root family, to 1800s-era quilts and coverlets, to odds-and-ends found in the walls of historic Cambria homes, will be on display.
The Cambria Historical Museum is located at 4153 Lower Mountain Road, Cambria, New York 14094.
The Cambria Historical Society is pleased to announce it will be celebrating the Grand (Re)Opening of the Museum on Sunday, August 24, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Light refreshments will be provided. Please stop in to see what we’ve done with the place over the last few years! Many historical Cambria artifacts, ranging from the Sutherland Sisters, to the pioneering Root family, to 1800s-era quilts and coverlets, to odds-and-ends found in the walls of historic Cambria homes, will be on display.